High medication adherence rates are frequently achieved in clinical trials. But when a drug therapy receives regulatory approval and is launched in the real world, successful adherence becomes more challenging.
There's a simple explanation for this: the complexity of everyday life. Every person experiences a myriad of biopsychosocial factors influencing their thoughts, emotions, and behavior. That's where beliefs about efficacy and safety are formed, influenced by attitudes towards medication taking in general and daily routines around administration. It's key to uncover and address any thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that form a barrier to taking medication as prescribed.
To achieve high adherence rates in the real world, drug therapies must be accompanied by a patient support program that is relevant and personalized, one that engages with patients where they are in their treatment journey.
Relevant Personalization Begins with Understanding a Patient’s Perspective
When pharmaceutical companies can uncover barriers to optimal therapy use, they can create an improved patient experience that results in increased patient initiation, adherence, and persistence. Two methods can help optimize that experience:
- Relevance and personalization: Uncover insights into specific patient barriers that can be used to craft an adherence program that will be relevant and personalized.
- Empowerment and self-reliance: Empower patients to take an active role in their care and become their own best health advocate.
Relevant Personalization Requires Omnichannel Communication
By using multiple channels, we can create an omnipresent experience for patients, helping them internalize key messages and further increasing medication adherence. A coherent and coordinated omnichannel experience that contains content applicable to their immediate situation increases the likelihood of patient adherence.
For example, a patient with a self-injection anxiety barrier could have four separate interactions across a variety of channels to address their concerns and get optimally prepared for their first self-injection:
- Discuss their concerns on the phone with a nurse
- Watch a video about how to inject
- Get a text message with a relaxation exercise
- Receive a follow-up email about three key steps to successfully prepare for their first injection
This is an omnichannel experience that uses each channel in a coordinated way to achieve the desired goal. Digital-only programs have shown to be highly effective. Our richest engagement channels, phone and video chat, allow patients to connect directly with a nurse or care navigator.
A Technology Platform that Can Power It All
Achieving this type of personalization and omnichannel coordination requires a powerful technology solution. This is where our Resilix® platform comes in. We developed it after discovering the limitations of using Salesforce for patient engagement. The Resilix platform has been purpose-built from the beginning to support what we’ve discussed throughout the post.
Let’s explore personalization first. There are three specific ways the Resilix platform enhances a patient services team’s ability to understand and tailor the patient experience:
- The user interface has been designed to guide nurses and patient navigators so that they can have engaging conversations that will uncover and address patient barriers to adherence using approved talking points.
- The platform utilizes predictive analytics to uncover patterns in the data that help us understand patient behaviors and predict barriers based on certain patient characteristics, events, or triggers.
- An assessment feature helps nurses conduct patient questionnaires by phone, email, or tex. Furthermore, the system can classify patients based on their responses and automatically assign different communication cadences depending on their classification.
The Resilix platform also makes omnichannel adherence programs possible by allowing patient services teams to coordinate outbound and inbound communications in all necessary channels. This allows the nurses and patient navigators to provide true patient personalization via phone, video, text, email, and other channels, all from within the same system.
At the end of the day, much of what companies can accomplish in the adherence realm is simply based on paying attention to the needs of patients. We hear from appreciative patients telling us the support they received made a difference in how they felt about the treatment and their ability to incorporate the medication into their daily life, and the impact this had had on their lives. Having a companion alongside during a treatment journey makes all the difference.